From my previous experiments using Payne’s grey and yellow ochre watercolour washes with black ink, charcoal and metallic silver acrylic paint I started to distil further elements from this artwork. I explored marks made with black ink and translated some of the marks from the previous work while other marks were influenced by the continuing process of experimentation. While I needed to separate out some of the marks made for screen-printing, I enjoyed the process of mark making with black ink for its own sake. I particularly enjoyed the immediacy of the process, of the capacity to be readily influenced from one mark to the next, to alter the course of mark making as I went along.
As I progressed, I produced a range of marks which I reviewed before continuing to make further marks. From such frequent review processes, I ensured that I had created a sufficiently diverse range of marks to choose from for my next screen-printing process. I wanted to make sure that I had a variety of dynamic line, texture and shape to produce impactful screen prints when layered and manipulated with hand stencils.
With the review process and use of previous artwork I separated out a range of preferred single line sketches and drawings using different black pens to produce a selection of lines for screen printing. Through overlaying different marks including line I was able to make a selection for screen-printing.